Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Desk (part v) - Visconti

Will it ever end? I hear you ask. Today is drawer 4. There are 8 drawers of pens: 6 Omas, one Visconti and 1 miscellaneous.  So yes, it WILL end... promise!

Today, just to break things up, it's Visconti's turn.

I have had an interesting history with Visconti. One of my happiest experiences with fountain pens happened at the home of Visconti in Florence. There's a short story about that here (FPN) and here (Visconti blog).

Visconti have a range of spectacular pens.

From Left: Visconti Mazzi Dragon case (pen inside); travelling ink pot; Metropolis with Gaudian Knot design; Voyager; Opera Demonstrator; Wall Street LE, Copernicus.
Their packaging also is very often innovative, and full of style and fun.

Visconti Ragtime collection

 I find however, that the quality can vary significantly. The innovation is certainly there; and sometimes they are just wonderful works of art.



I am particularly fond of the colours of the now discontinued Van Goghs 


But I have found the nibs to vary considerably; and their filling system (especially the vacuum filling system in the LEs) can be frustrating at times. The nibs in my experience tend towards stiffness; (although my Wall Street has a fabulous wet medium nib); while my preference is a nib with more flex. Nevertheless, here I am with a not inconsiderable number of them suggesting that in the end, the innovation, presentation and variation of the Visconti brand, still sucks me in :-)


So here comes Drawer 4:



From Left: Opera Demonstrator; Millenium One; blue (#107/4000) and Green (#81/4000) Wall Street LEs; Homo Sapiens (power filler; great system for keeping cap on); Moonlight Voyager, Metropolis (Gaudian Knot); Rinascimento Stardust; Travelling ink pot (the best portable ink pot on earth!); Van Gogh (Starry Night).


Until another tine...

1 comment: